Services and Programs Overview
Watauga Opportunities, Inc. offers day services to adults, 18 years of age or older, with developmental disabilities, from Ashe, Avery, and Watauga counties of North Carolina.
Supported Employment, Evaluation and Work Adjustment services are also provided in Yancey, Mitchell, Alleghany, Wilkes, Caldwell and Buncombe counties. These services are provided at no cost to those people who have been determined eligible by the sponsoring agencies: Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vaya Health LME/MCO, Watauga County School System, and Tennessee Department of Human Services.
General Admission Criteria
Admission is based on fee sponsorship from any of the sponsoring agencies or other funding agencies. In order to be accepted, the individual must:
- Possess basic self-help skills (unless personal assistance is available)
- Be of no physical threat to self or others
- Be an active participant concerning their plan of services/supports
Individuals are referred in order to seek assistance in overcoming barriers to employment.
The vocational barriers addressed include:
- Lack of good work skills
- Low speed and productivity
- Lack of self-confidence or self-esteem
- Inability to problem solve
- Poor social skills
- Poor communication skills
- Inability to present oneself in an interview
- Overdependence on others
- Low motivation health/physical problems which prevent consistent work performance
- Low academic skills
- Lack of self-help or independent living skills
It is not a policy of the facility to provide daycare or custodial services.